Sunday, July 29, 2012

Information Wants to Be

Free. Or does it? Ask your information what it wants....
     I asked mine. Mine wanted a drink and a payment before it would even talk. (Note: That should be the first hint.)
      So, Info and I walk into a bar and sit down. "Do you want to be free?" I ask.
     Info turn to the bartender, "Remy Martin, VSOP, straight." I order beer. Domestic. "Well, we would have to define terms. For instance, what is freedom?"  Info takes an appreciative sip. "In essence --"
     I cut in. Philosophy's fine, but if I'm nursing a beer and Info's swigging French cognac -- on my tab -- we're gonna cut to the chase. "Do you want to be paid for what you offer; the knowledge, power, entertainment, instruction that you, Info, supply?"
     "I myself would be delighted to be offer my services simply for the joy of sharing my presence, but I have...shall we say, bills."
     "But don't you want to be free? Because I've been reading -- and it's been attributed to you -- that wished to be free."
     Info sighed. "Well, yes, I did say that, but it was taken entirely out of context! I meant free to go hither and yon without barrier or borders. I never meant that I didn't expect to be compensated for my time and effort. It's not just for myself, you understand. I have commitments. A family! A whole lot of little Ideas. Even now, there's a new Notion in the oven."

     "I heard there were gambling debts."
     "I don't want to talk about that," said Info, primly.
     "So, for the record, you want remuneration?" I asked.
     Info stared into the beautiful amber liquid -- that was quickly disappearing. He motioned. "Barkeep, one more!" The the bartender came 
      "Still working this Coors." 
     "Don't get me wrong, I still cherish the ideals of my youth. But I've discovered that Beauty, not to mention Health Care, Education, and Housing, all charge, so really, I'm simply trying to get by in the world as I find it. Info, breath sweet with expensive -- very expensive -- cognac sang (off-key!) "It's Hard Out Here For A Pimp," by Three 6 Mafia,( http://www.three6-mafia.com/us/hom.) I joined in. What else could I do? And that note...I paid the tab and Info and I went our separate ways.
       
   



No comments:

Post a Comment